Nothing screams winter and new-year-healthy-culinary-resolution more than minestrone. This is my all time favourite, easy to make in bulk and keep in the refrigerator for a couple of days – these measures makes loads:
Cook the following gently for 8-10 minutes or until soft:
- 30g butter (optional)
- 5 tbl olive oil
- 4 chopped carrots
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2-3 chopped cloves garlic
- 125g chopped thick bacon
I cheat with the above and buy a 500g bag of mixed chopped onions and carrots – makes this recipe super fast.
Add the following, bring to the boil and cook gently for 20 mins:
- 2 tinned 400g can chopped tomatoes – or use the fresh equivalent
- 2+ litres of chicken stock
Add and the following and continue cooking gently for another 15 mins:
- 400g of shredded cabbage – I use the Chinese cabbage version, easier to chop and tastier!
- 100g of cut spaghetti or any other leftover uncooked pasta you might have
- salt to taste
At the end add the following and heat/cook for another 5 mins.
- approx 250g cooked broad or French beans – from a tin or jar, should you wish
- approx 200g cooked petits pois beans
Serve sprinkled with lots of fresh ground black pepper and grated cheese of your choice.