Hummus is so delicious and easy to make that I often wonder why I ever buy it ready made. Here goes:
- 700 ml drained tinned or bottled chick peas
- 2 level tsps sea salt or lo-salt, to taste
- 2 cloves garlic
- 300 ml tahini – use less first and then add according to taste
- 80 ml lemon juice – use a bit more according to taste
- cayenne pepper and olive oil for garnish
Blend, using a hand blender, the chick peas, salt and garlic. Once it is a smooth paste add the tahini and lemon juice and extra water to get the right consistency. Adjust the tahini, lemon juice and salt to taste.
Serve sprinkled with cayenne pepper and olive oil. This recipe makes loads, so perfect if you have friends over.
Tip: an alternative to tahini is ground cumin.