I am not a big fan of onion soup, but his recipe did it for me. The only work involved is peeling and slicing the onions in rough slices.
You will need:
- 1 kg onions, peeled and slices
- some olive oil and 30g butter
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 10g of fresh thyme
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1.5 litre boiling water and 2 vegetable cubes
- 200g tortellini (not fresh)
- ground pepper and salt
Fry until caramelised the onions, sugar and thyme in the oil and butter over medium heat. After around 10-15 minutes the onions will start to caramelise and then add the water and cubes and cook for around half an hour. Finally add the tortellini and cook for the amount of time indicated on packet. Season with salt and pepper.
Makes around four servings, but will probably be enough for two if taken as a main.